• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facebook/Job Interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saymyname

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I am currently employed as a law enforcement officer. About 2 years ago, I traveled at great distance and expense to apply for a job (for another law enforcement agency in Washington State) I thought I was more than qualified for. There are several phases applicants must complete before being considered for a job.

Phase 1: Written Test: Out of all applicants, I scored #3 on the written test.

Phase 2: Oral Board (Pass or Fail): Pass

Phase 3: Meet with background detective.

This is where I have issue. During the one on one interview the background detective drills you in almost every aspect of your past. I answered everything completely honestly to the best of my recollection.

In the middle of the interview, the detective asks me if I have a Facebook account. I answered yes. He asked me if it would be okay to look at my page. Feeling that the interview would be over if I refused, but feeling a bit strange, I logged in providing my login and password. The background detective then asked me to move away from the computer and he spent several minutes looking at posts, photos, videos and what ever else I had up. I did not have anything to hide (except for maybe some less-than-flattering photos of myself) but I could not help feeling somewhat violated. Anyway, the background interview concluded, I flew home and several weeks later got a letter stating that I was a "less than competitive candidate" and the agency per policy could not tell me why I would not be further considered for the position.

I could not help but wonder if the detective may have seen something on Facebook that maybe he did not like or personally agree with. The whole snooping around my Facebook profile left a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, flash forward one year. Again, knowing that I am qualified for the job, I went through the same process again. I applied, flew at my own expense, aced the written exam, the oral board and waited for the background interview.

As luck would have it, I ended up with the SAME background detective. I had deactivated my Facebook account several months earlier, but he asked me again if I had a Facebook account. I told him no. He then asked me if I belonged to any other "online" services. I told him I have a pro account on Vimeo (My hobby is shooting and editing video). All my videos require a password to watch. He asked if he could look at my videos. I told him he could, but again I had that uneasy feeling that he was going too far into my personal affairs. He clicked on a couple of my videos and asked me to enter my password and watched some boring home videos of my kids at school.

Needless to say, same result. I got the rejection letter a few weeks later and again no explanation.

While I voluntarily provided my passwords to the detective on both occasions, I felt that if I refused he would think I was hiding something. Did this detective overstep his boundaries during the interview?

Please comment.

justalayman

While I voluntarily provided my passwords to the detective on both occasions, I felt that if I refused he would think I was hiding something. Did this detective overstep his boundaries during the interview?
nope. welcome to the world of self tattling. What happened is not uncommon or illegal (as far as I know) in any state.

If you feel uneasy about giving access then you have two choices: 1) allow it or 2) refuse ... option 3 - complaining about it and then letting them is not going to win you any accolades.

Even with option 2 it makes it look like you care about your right to privacy or the 14th amendment right to privacy.

Why would you work for an agency that you believe is violating your constitutional rights, rights they supposedly took an oath to defend?

The government is now a fascist government; individual freedom & freedoms are concepts completely alien to the government. Freedom & freedoms given to your government they are all for though...

swalsh411

Option 4: Lie.

If all your videos required a password to watch then it wouldn't have come up if you were googled later by the detective.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
nope. welcome to the world of self tattling. What happened is not uncommon or illegal (as far as I know) in any state.
Facebook has come out and stated that this practice is illegal and they may be pursuing employers legally that ask for said information.

In addition two senators have also raised legality concerns:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/making-job-seekers-turn-facebook-passwords-illegal-u-s-senators-article-1.1050598?localLinksEnabled=false

See many other articles here:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=f&oq=facebook+job+interview+password&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS395US395&q=facebook+job+interview+password&gs_upl=0l0l0l4119lllllllllll0

Last edited:

justalayman

=Ohiogal;3031177]Facebook has come out and stated that this practice is illegal and they may be pursuing employers legally that ask for said information.
I wasn't aware Facebook was a legal authority and regardless, they have nothing to say about the action. It actually does not involve them. A person has a right to disclose their password if they choose. Facebook can terminate their account if they don't like it. Other than that, just what "legal" action do they believe they can take?

here is a quote from that link:

He said the practice appears to break anti-discrimination laws because it may yield information about the job seeker’s religion, marital status, or whether she is pregnant - all information that is illegal to ask about in a job interview.
Of course it is illegal to ask about those topics. It isn't illegal to read somebody's publication where that information might be available unless the purpose of the foray is to discover that information.

another quote:

In letters to the Justice Department and U.S. Equal Opportunity Commission, the senators also said it might violate computer fraud laws against accessing electronic information without authorization.
of course that makes no sense. The applicant giving the interviewer the password is permission. The applicant can refuse. If the interviewer then hacked the account, then it would fit the crime in question.

Don't get me wrong. I believe it is wrong to do what they are doing. I just cannot see any reason it would be illegal (at least with the laws as they are).

Facebook has come out and stated that this practice is illegal and they may be pursuing employers legally that ask for said information.
I think if you re-read the links (where they ask for login/passwords) you'll note the OP did not do that...just gave them access to the account.

What, so employers could ask for bank passwords too? Its getting to be to intrusive. I would never work for a company that asked for this information..if everyone was like this then companies would stop tomorrow.

Beth3

here is a quote from that link:

Quote:
He said the practice appears to break anti-discrimination laws because it may yield information about the job seeker’s religion, marital status, or whether she is pregnant - all information that is illegal to ask about in a job interview.

Of course it is illegal to ask about those topics.

Actually, it's not. It may be incredibly stupid to inquire about those things during an interview but it's not illegal.

ecmst12

The answer should have been, you can view the information I have publically available on Facebook, you don't need my login or password for that.

tranquility

Well then, thank you for your time. You are not an acceptable candidate. Please send in the next person on your way out.

ecmst12

It violates Facebook's terms of service and violates the privacy of all of your friends. And I wouldn't want to work for anyone who asked such unreasonable things.

tranquility

Super, please send in the next person or I will have security remove you.

On a side note, I have seen hundreds of people this year and discussed their financial situations in detail. I've seen the scared and vacant look in the eyes of those out of work for more than a few months. For those who still have hope, they'd give up a kidney for a job if the employer asked. Talking tough is great, but, until there is a clear answer by the courts, if you want the job you'll give up the password.

LilTwyt

I don't think this agency was really looking for Facebook or other social media activities by the applicant, I think they were probably testing the individual to see if they are one who will give in even if they are uncomfortable.

The OP was asked TWICE about social networking. TWICE logged in to let the detective look around but was uncomfortable about it. Never once questioned it, refused it, etc. Sorry, but that's not an officer I want out there patrolling the streets and going about against the criminals. I want someone who is not afraid to speak up and question things that s/he believes are wrong.

Slightly off topic but I hope to see a "user's bill of rights" be put into law about what kind of privacy expectations users of any internet service (whether it be yahoo, google, facebook, etc) can expect. Right now it's a playground out there with any of these companies making whatever rules they want because they know people want to use their service. If it was understood that certain levels of privacy are to be enforced, it may stop interview questions such as this from being asked also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">