• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facing possible wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

selinam

What is the name of your state? Arizona.

I am currently employed by a large grocery chain. I am also a member of the union so I technically am not an "at-will" employee.

Here is the short of it. From the time I started working, a fellow employee began to try to intimidate me with some of his physical actions and he would talk down to me and try to bully me. He was really creating a very unfavorable working environment for me. After much endurance, and repeated complaints to management, I was asked to write a statement regarding some of the incidents that he would put me through. Although none of them involved EEO issues he continued to treat me unfavorably and I had no witnesses when he did so. Just recently, a fellow female employee who is currently living and dating the individual that is treating me unfavorably falsely accused me of making a comment she construed as being discriminatory. I was called in for a investigatory interview and was suspended over this incident with the female. I never made such a comment and a witness spoke on my behalf that I had not made such a comment. I have been suspended from work for over a week now and feel that I am getting the short end of it. I immediately filed a grievance with my union and am awaiting a disposition from management. I strongly feel that management is attempting to fire me for the complaints that I have filed on the male fellow employee, and the girlfriend is just attempting to take the heat off of her boyfriend by making counter allegations.

Based on this do you think that I can justifiably get fired? :mad:

Beth3

Based on this do you think that I can justifiably get fired? Can you legally be fired? Yes. But without having any idea what the terms of your CBA are and what conditions, if any, are defined as cause for dismissal, it's impossible to say.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, unless you are fired for a reason that is prohibited by LAW, it is not a wrongful termination. If it is a legal termination under the law, but prohibited by your CBA, that does not make it a wrongful termination, it makes it a breach of contract. Two different things, commonly confused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">