• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

facing termination for swearing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsunami beach

What is the name of your state?MI

I am a nursing student working as an aide a hospital. I was suspended for swearing in front of a patient. The patient complained.

Yes, I was rushed, and inpatient and I did swear in my haste, albeit in an under my breath sort of way. Should I actually admit this to my employer? I'd like to just be honest. We are a human and do dumb things at times, but I'm looking at getting fired and as I said, I am soon to be a nurse. This is quite a price to pay for this minor screw up.

I was already warned once in the past about swearing, so I it is no secret that I tend to swear. I really think they'll ax me over this. The patient was very upset. Oh yes, I also told her she was too "heavy" which she was (she was quite fat, so this probably wasn't too smooth a move on my part), I could hardly get her off the commode. But, patients need to ambulate, not just lay in bed. I was wrong here too. I know this. You know, it gets hectic on the floor at times, I just let my frustrations get the better of me.

So, what should I actually admit to? Swearing is against hospital ploicy I'm quite sure, and I have been warned before!

Should I admit this in my written response? I have to submit somthing to the union rep and the truth really doesn't seem to pay.

rmet4nzkx

tsunami beach said:

I am a nursing student working as an aide a hospital. I was suspended for swearing in front of a patient. The patient complained.

Yes, I was rushed, and inpatient and I did swear in my haste, albeit in an under my breath sort of way. Should I actually admit this to my employer? I'd like to just be honest. We are a human and do dumb things at times, but I'm looking at getting fired and as I said, I am soon to be a nurse. This is quite a price to pay for this minor screw up.

I was already warned once in the past about swearing, so I it is no secret that I tend to swear. I really think they'll ax me over this. The patient was very upset. Oh yes, I also told her she was too "heavy" which she was (she was quite fat, so this probably wasn't too smooth a move on my part), I could hardly get her off the commode. But, patients need to ambulate, not just lay in bed. I was wrong here too. I know this. You know, it gets hectic on the floor at times, I just let my frustrations get the better of me.

So, what should I actually admit to? Swearing is against hospital ploicy I'm quite sure, and I have been warned before!

Should I admit this in my written response? I have to submit somthing to the union rep and the truth really doesn't seem to pay.
Consult your union rep, they are the ones representing you.

Are you sure this is a good career choice for you, since the best welfare of the patient and respect is a major focus in the helping professions? Yes what is said when in the breakroom or when a patient is sedated is another thing, but swearing in front of a patient then compounding it by commenting on their weight is not professional at all. You have already been warned, your inability to control your language is not a good representation on your professional potential.

Beth3

You don't seem to be rather well suited for this profession. You get easily frustrated, can't control your emotions, insulted a patient, and have been caught swearing several times (which undoubtedly means you've done it a lot more than that.)

Since you've been warned before about swearing, I can tell you that they feel the patient's complaint is undoubtedly quite credible. You can continue to lie about the incident and almost certainly be terminated or tell the truth, promise it will never happen again, and hope for the best.

Your plan to try to lie your way out of this is ill-advised but it's your choice.

ENASNI

oh boy

Oh I hope you become a nurse. :rolleyes:
You will be like the one trying to give me an IV when I was having my first baby.
I am in the middle of a contraction, she has poked 3 holes in me trying for the fourth and I am retching.
She says so sweetly :rolleyes:
"will you keep your goddamn arm still!!"
It was so comforting.
This isn't of course legal advice.

HomeGuru

tsunami beach said:

**A: even a worker at a fast food joint would get fired for swearing. It appears that you can't work under pressure in a medical facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">