• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed a pre-employment drug screen, positive for prescription opiates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimmy1171

Michigan

I was offered a job on Friday and was asked to take a drug screen on the following Monday. I took the test and was called 3 days later by HR asking me if I was on any prescription opiates, I explained that I was being prescribed Norco and Robaxin and HR asked me to get a Rx list signed by my Dr, which I did. I then showed up for orientation and was told that the MRO had not signed off on the Rx list, but that HR would call me later that afternoon. HR didn't call so I showed up at HR office the following day to find out what was going on, and HR said the MRO had still not signed off, but I honestly feel like they are giving me the run around, are they allowed to resend a job offer based on prescription medication?

Ladyback1

Thank you for your opinion on this matter:)
The can rescind a job offer just because you showed up for orientation wearing a purple shirt....

If they are following their policy, and the same policy was applied to other applicants--then you really have no recourse. Obviously some companies take the "Drug Free Workplace" very seriously.

FlyingRon

They're not required to apply the policy equally to all applicants either, as long as they aren't using it as a ruse for illegal discrimination.

But give it another day or two, they haven't rescinded the offer yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">