• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Accusation of Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thejuliethour

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

On this past Monday, I was accused by my manager of stealing money from the cash register. She claimed that her deposits were not adding up and proceeded to show me a surveilance video that suggests I reached into the register and pocketed it. She said she was suspicious because I had opened the register without having a transaction- I often do this to see if I need to make change. I definitely did not and have not ever stolen from her, but the video is poor quality and the back of my head is blocking the register drawer. I simply removed a return receipt so I could later attach it to the original. At the time I had no explanation because I had been completely caught off guard. She tried to intimidate me into admitting guilt. When I would not, she told me to "either pull [myself] together or figure something else out". I was so insulted that I told her I was uncomfortable working there any longer, to which she responed "I can only come up with one reason why you would be uncomfortable". I left immediately.

My question is this- do I have a slander/defamation case against her? Also, can I claim unemployment? I voluntarily left but under those circumstance, would anyone want to continue with such a company? She was essentially placing blame on me for her lack of ability to balance the register/manage her receipts and transactions- it's an old register with a sales journal- not computerized. She may also be trying to withhold my wages from the previous week- I have yet to receive them.

Please advise.

tranquility

You have no slander/defamation case. I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I to give an opinion on unemployment. However, I bet you're going to get an argument so you better start getting your facts together.

katmo7

I think it's clear as she states she left immediately after the conversation with her manager - Duh... and didn't return to work. How long has it been since you have not returned to work? Is there anything that states in the employee handbook if you are absent without informing your manager or don't show up for more than 3 days it's considered voluntary termination on your part. Did you just leave or did you tell her that you quit? Your manager didn't give you an ultimatum or in anyway inform that you would be fired, so you most likely won't get UI benefits. I'd try to get a letter from your employer stating that they fired you and the reason as to why. See if you can get your employer to write you a letter claiming to have fired you. If you can prove that you didn't steal anything you may be able to get UI benefits depending upon what they believe and their ruling.

pattytx

It is NOT clear. There are a number of reasons why she may have "left immediately". Why don't you let the POSTER answer the questions?

Even you yourself said
Did you just leave or did you tell her that you quit?
So obviously, it wasn't "clear" to you either; otherwise you wouldn't have asked.

katmo7

Did you tell your manager that you quit? Either way it probably doesn't make a difference. You say you left after your conversation with your manager. Did you return to work after leaving? How long has it been since you last been at your place of employment? Is there anything in writing stating that if you are absent or don't show up after X days your employment is terminated and considered a voluntary termination (the employee handbook)? From your posts it also appears that you were not given an ultimatum or told you were fired by your manager. It appears that you left voluntarily and may not be eligible for UI benefits even if you did quit. Need some more information..to respond further or give advice.

Last edited:

thejuliethour

Response

The incident occurred this past Monday- 6 days ago. No, I did not specifically say that I "quit". I'd never been in such a situation before so termination protocol was not on my mind.

There is no employee handbook so I have nothing to go by. This is a very small (6-person organization) "mom and pop" stlye business, so everything is done in a sort of ad hoc fashion, which is why I'm unsure of how to proceed.

I am doubtful that I would be able to get a letter of termination. This woman is very unprofessional- very little common sense, very erratic. The whole situation she put me in was basically a witch hunt. She (and whomever else she had spoken to about the matter) had already decided I was guilty before she even spoke to me- other employees left the back room the minute I entered/wouldn't speak to/acknowledge me as I left.

Last edited:

pattytx

No, you do not have a slander or defamation case. However, if you left and did not return to work, you effectively quit, even though you might not have said the words "I quit". It is unlikely in the extreme that you would get UI benefits, since you quit, but it never hurts to file.

Last edited:

Betty

Agree with Patty. You have no slander or defamation case. It is doubtful you will get UI benefits since you "quit" but I would go ahead & apply. It never hurts to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">