• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false advertisement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

911con

What is the name of your state?michigan

I responded to a mailing for a position that included the pay rates for the particular position, i possessed the necessary license for the position and applied. I passed all the necessary exams and requirements for the position, and was subsequently hired, i quite my previous job to accept the new one at what i thought was the rate mailed to my home. Upon my first date i was told that although the wage i received in the mail were correct i must be promoted to that position therefore i was hired at a lesser rate and lower position pending promotion to the higher position. I had already resigned from my previous employer and was told by my new employer to take it or leave it. If the mailing had said upon promotion to said position i would not have applied, i have been forced to take a cut in pay from my previous job. Is this legal? are there any laws prohibiting this type of misleading job recruitments? :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

911con said:
What is the name of your state?michigan

I responded to a mailing for a position that included the pay rates for the particular position, i possessed the necessary license for the position and applied. I passed all the necessary exams and requirements for the position, and was subsequently hired, i quite my previous job to accept the new one at what i thought was the rate mailed to my home. Upon my first date i was told that although the wage i received in the mail were correct i must be promoted to that position therefore i was hired at a lesser rate and lower position pending promotion to the higher position. I had already resigned from my previous employer and was told by my new employer to take it or leave it. If the mailing had said upon promotion to said position i would not have applied, i have been forced to take a cut in pay from my previous job. Is this legal? are there any laws prohibiting this type of misleading job recruitments? :confused:

My response:

Leaving out proper names, please quote the exact words in the ad that you saw. Please do the same with the letter and rate that you received.

Also, do you still have both of these items?

IAAL

JETX

And wouldn't a 'reasonable' person have confirmed their pay rate BEFORE quitting their current job and accepting a new one???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
And wouldn't a 'reasonable' person have confirmed their pay rate BEFORE quitting their current job and accepting a new one???

My response:

Our writer said, "the rate mailed to my home" -- the presumption being that an amount was placed in writing, along with all the terms and conditions of employment.

So, presuming all terms and conditions of employment were laid out, and understood, what more in the way of a "confirmation" would our writer need to "confirm"?

IAAL

JETX

The writer said, "I responded to a mailing for a position that included the pay rates for the particular position...."

The way that I read that, it seemed that they were responding to some type of 'marketing' letter (a 'mailing')..... "Our associates make up to $15.00 per hour!!" and not that it was a specific letter directed to the writer.

Of course, if it was a specific job offer letter, received AFTER application, interviews, etc., that would be different.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">