• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False allegations, discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shutuped

What is the name of your state? Florida

My wife was fired for reasons that were untrue. She worked at the company for 2 years without a problem. She was a productive employee, and her supervisors liked her. Then her supervisor switched departments and the company hired a new one. Now, roughly two months later, she gets fired. From the first day the new supervisor started she has disliked my wife, and has fabricated reasons to reprimand her. She was accused of sleeping on the job, and taking unauthorized breaks.

She is the most productive employee in her department, yet when she brought this up the supervisor created a chart in MS excel that was supposed to “prove” that she was not productive. Meanwhile male employees have blatantly slept on the job, in full view of the supervisor, as well as surfing the Internet on the clock, and taking frequent breaks. All have gone completely undisciplined.

There are only 3 females working in her department, my wife and one other are white, the other is black. The supervisor who is causing all the trouble is married to a black man, and she became quick friends with the black girl. This girl does absolutely nothing while at work, and she is not disciplined at all. The other white girl in the department has not been fired yet, but she also feels she has been unfairly disciplined since this new supervisor started.

When she was fired my wife mentioned that she might seek legal counsel, and was soon offered 2 weeks pay, along with pay for her accumulated vacation if she agreed to quit.

Although they did fabricate reasons, we believe the real reason she was fired is because her new supervisor does not like other white females. Does she have a case for wrongful termination? If she agrees to quit, will she lose any chance at winning such a case? And if she were to win a case, what exactly would she get? A settlement of some sort, or a reinstatement of her job? We really have no money for a lawyer, so we really don’t know what to do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is impossible to say on the basis of the facts in your post whether she has a legitimate wrongful termination case or not. If she believes she was fired because of her race, she is free to file a complaint with the EEOC or your state discrimination board. What she would receive IF it were to be determined that she has a legitimate case AND IF she were to win it, is impossible to say at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">