• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False overpayment notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rndjfan

overpayment MO

a former employer sent me a letter 1 year after firing me stating I had been overpaid for 1 day of work and 1 week vacation. I asked for proof, they sent none. They only sent a copy of my paycheck that was direct deposit by them, and a letter saying I had been paid too much. They were very nasty. After 1 year of employment, which I had, you are entitled to paid vacation. So I said I didnt feel I owed the amount. I asked the union for assistance and that is taking a long time since I am no longer employed I'm not a priority for them. I asked if this was found to be owed if I could make pay arrange and the, the company, said no. I had to pay all. ANd them they sent my info to a collection agency and credit bureau. I dont know what to do, please help.

Beth3

I suggest you contact Missouri's Department of Labor. Ask them (1) if the employer can demand repayment without providing any proof that you were overpaid, and (2) whether any statute of limitations applies IF you were overpaid.

R

rndjfan

Thank you I'll call them now and find out. I appreciate your fast response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">