• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Reason for Terminations/FSLA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katm1179

What is the name of your state? MA

I understand that an at-will employee can pretty much fire you for any reason or no reason. However, what if your employer gives you a false reason for terminating you and you can prove the reason is false/made-up. Also, what if you believe the reason for the termination was discriminatory based upon one's race/nationality, but you don't have concrete proof?

Further, what if similiarly situated employees are not disciplined in the same manner for the same type of conduct that is exhibited by other employees?

Also, what can you do about a company that is classifying exempt vs. non-exempt employee incorrectly and the company isn't willing to correct the situation or back pay employees they classified incorrectly.

Thanks.

pattytx

I'll let someone who's area of expertise it is answer the first two.

Regarding the misclassification of employees, that can be reported to, in Massachusetts, the office of the Attorney General, acting as the Dept. of Labor. Or the federal Dept. of Labor.

If you were misclassified as exempt, and did not receive overtime pay when you should legally have, you can also file a claim for unpaid overtime with the same office.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not illegal to give a false reason for the termination, as long as the actual reason is not an illegal one.

If you believe that you were fired because of your race, you are free to report it to the EEOC or MCAD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">