• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely Accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valadizz

What is the name of your state? California

I worked as a store manager for *$'s for three years, up until recently. I was accused of having a physical relationship with a female subordinate. This, of course, is not true. I do not know why I was accused, but I do suspect that my assistant manager had something to do with it so that he could take my position.

I feel I was wrongfully terminated because there was no through investigation into the allegations. I first heard of the allegations on Friday, when I was called to my supervisors office. I was told that a female subordinate had called in and reported a relationship between us. I denied the allegations and was then told that a third party was the real alleger and that the other party involved needed to be interviewed. On Wednesday, the following week, I was fired. I was told that the allegations were enough to terminate. I asked for proof, for written statements, for anything to support their claims and was told that they were not required. I was told, "why would she lie?" When the conversation was reaching an end my boss then told me, "you just don't seem that convincing."

Is it right to lose your job because of the claim of another? Policy states in the handbook that an aggressive investigation would be undertaken. Where is the proof?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? California

I worked as a store manager for *$'s for three years, up until recently. I was accused of having a physical relationship with a female subordinate. This, of course, is not true. I do not know why I was accused, but I do suspect that my assistant manager had something to do with it so that he could take my position.

I feel I was wrongfully terminated because there was no through investigation into the allegations. I first heard of the allegations on Friday, when I was called to my supervisors office. I was told that a female subordinate had called in and reported a relationship between us. I denied the allegations and was then told that a third party was the real alleger and that the other party involved needed to be interviewed. On Wednesday, the following week, I was fired. I was told that the allegations were enough to terminate. I asked for proof, for written statements, for anything to support their claims and was told that they were not required. I was told, "why would she lie?" When the conversation was reaching an end my boss then told me, "you just don't seem that convincing."

Is it right to lose your job because of the claim of another? Policy states in the handbook that an aggressive investigation would be undertaken. Where is the proof?
They don't need proof. This is not wrongful termination. Google wrongful termination. You just need to apply for unemployment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination does not mean you were fired for something you did not do. It means that you were terminated for a reason prohibited by law. This does not qualify as a wrongful term, even though it may be unfair.

Beth3

Is it right to lose your job because of the claim of another? It may not be right but it's legal. As an "at will" employee, the employer doesn't need proof of the accusation. If they choose to believe the accuser, they can, even if the allegations are unsubstantiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">