• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

falsely accused of stealing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vanmtz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was falsely accused of stealing and terminated. My manager told me to leave the premises because she was calling the police. I was told by an ex-coworker that they would do a complete investigation, but how long will it take for the company or police to contact me? Will I be arrested because of her police report?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no possible way for us to know either how long the investigation will take, or what action the police will take when it is done. For all we know the investigation will clear you completely.

eerelations

If the police charge you then you call a lawyer. There's no law that says you can't call one now, however, it might be a bit of a waste of money to be paying a lawyer when you haven't been charged with anything yet.

tranquility

What an attorney will tell you is to remain silent. Don't give a statement. Don't talk with the police without an attorney present. Get it? They'll tell you they just want to clear things up. They may be sympathetic. They may get tough and threaten to arrest you then and there, but, don't talk.

Give your identifying information (required at booking) and cooperate with all orders. But, don't say anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">