• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsified Work Conditions and Job descriptions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t5chris

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? CA

I started a job in mortgage sales last week after a full month of job hunting. At the time, I had 2 other offers and another interview on the table to work for highly sought companies - base + commission + benefits + full training + 401k etc..

What did I do? I took a job with a smaller company for 100% commission and no benefits, because they made the position and work environment sound more attractive than it really was to lure me into their company.

They said they would provide hot business leads (customers interested right then and there) through advertisements and marketing, as many leads as I wanted, full training and support to succeed, and there was absolutely no employee turnover except for permanent medical disabilities.

Two weeks later,
1) The majority of calls they have me do is cold calling. The leads are far from hot. Most of the customers have been oversolicited, or have little to no interest. The job title is Sr. Credit Manager, yet I'm performing all of the same duties as a Telemarketer/Jr. Loan officer!

2) They haven't done any advertising or marketing to bring in new business for us. These are where the hot leads are supposed to come from. The commission contract is a 35%/65% commission split. The ONLY reason why I agreed to this, was because I knew that I would have to contribute revenue to pay for this kind of advertising in return for new business leads.

3) Training & Support? what training? Most of the learning I do is on my own or if I bug the manager with question, because the manager who hired me is too busy trying to make money for herself!

4) There is at least one employee that left that she never told me about during the interview, even though she made it sound like there was 0 turnover.

It's been 2 weeks, and all they have to show for my hardwork and 10-11 hour days is being chewed out for not making more cold calls. In addition, my confidence and morale has been destroyed from doing the cold calls (along with a sore throat). But that's not what bothers me...

It's the fact that I gave up three other jobs that paid more, actually did have comprehensive training, benefits, and a better work environment--that I might not be able to get back. All of this simply because they led me to believe that they had more to offer in order to attract me from the other companies.

Is there anything I can do? They wasted two weeks of my time where I could have been making more money in addition benefits and base pay, and cost me three great opportunities which took me over a month interviewing and job hunting. Who knows if I'll be able to find any opportunities similar to what they made me turn down, and how long will it take? Also, the short employment at this company is only going to add another job gap in my resume and history that I can't afford show on applications!

Beth3

You can talk to a local attorney and determine whether you have a claim for detrimental reliance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">