• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perfecta25

My employment was recently terminated; I live in Florida, and used to work for the federal government. I was a term employee with my appointment ending in 2012. I was harassed so I filed an EEO complaint, which is being investigated for NUMEROUS issues. Due to the stressful situation, I developed anxiety and depression, and was approved for FMLA leave. While on leave I was notified that my term would not be renewed as the work I was hired to do was completed? This didn't make sense b/c the work was not completed, and several new term employees will be hired soon to do the same job I was. Also, my former supervisor now works for his WIFE in another department. How many laws have been broken? Does anyone know what monetary amount can be awarded for EEO complaints, or each issue?

Last edited:

commentator

File for unemployment benefits as soon as you are released by your doctor, or even now, before you are fully released. You will have to set up a federal unemployment claim, and this needs to start as soon as possible. Did they do something they shouldn't? I leave that to others here.

pattytx

If the job you were working on went away and you would have been laid off anyway, being on FMLA leave will not change that.

perfecta25

The job was not going to go away. Those hired with me were renewed, and they are going to be hiring more people to perform the same job.

pattytx

So, if you think you were not renewed because you took FMLA, you can file a complaint with the federal DOL.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And no, since the crystal ball is currently out being recalibrated, no one here has the slightest idea what kind of monetary compensation, if any, your claim might be worth other than it will be between zero and fourteen gazillon dollars.

pattytx

And no, since the crystal ball is currently out being recalibrated, no one here has the slightest idea what kind of monetary compensation, if any, your claim might be worth other than it will be between zero and fourteen gazillon dollars.
If it were me, I'd settle in the middle of that range. :p

perfecta25

Thanks for that useless data

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're quite welcome. Seriously, with no more information than you have provided, how could you POSSIBLY expect us to give you anything more than that?

Hot Topic

There's nothing illegal about your former supervisor working for his wife.

We don't know what form of harassment you were subjected to. You provided no specifics on the "numerous issues" you refer to in your post.

Apparently, you look to a large cash award to sooth your anxiety and depression. I don't think you're going to get it.

swalsh411

I'd start by asking myself how good I was at the work I was hired to do. If the answer is anywhere between poor and average then that's a good possibility as to why they didn't want to renew.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">