• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Law re: COBRA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TAMARA41

What is the name of your state?Arkansas

Is it a Federal law that you have to sign whether or not you are keeping COBRA insurance? I had a HR person tell (threaten) me with this...that it is a Federal law that you have to sign it.?

mlane58

Absoultely not! Once you recieve the package in the mail, you have a certain time frame which I believe is 45 days (not sure of the time frame) to sign up for COBRA or use it as a catbox liner.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is certainly no Federal law that you have to sign up for COBRA if you don't want to. However, technically if you don't want it you should tell them so. While I doubt that the DOL would come after you for refusing to sign the declination form, I honestly can't come up with any reason why, if you know you don't want the COBRA, you shouldn't just sign the thing and send it back. If you change your mind within the 60 days the law gives you to make the decision, the fact that you initially declined it will NOT prevent you from later accepting it.

Sockeye

I've sent out at least 100 COBRA letters via certified letter w/ return receipt so we know they get them, and I think I've had only one written repsonse declining it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I probably didn't even get one. But if the employer is demanding one, it's not going to do the poster any harm, violate any of her rights, or close any doors for her if she complies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">