• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A felons rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

artus

What is the name of your state? Arizona
I have been working at Sears for 2 months. I was notified on Sep. 19 that a background cheak was recieved. I am on a paid leave for 5 business days while an investigation is completed. I am supposed to learn the statuse of my employment on the 26. I was in prison for 2 years for aggrivated DUI and I have other convictions from years ago. The application said list any convictions and I listed the DUI that I did time for and said will discuss upon interview. I was never asked about anything. I have a feeling that I will be fired because of my criminal background. Is that legal? Is ther anything that I can do? Do I have a lawsuit?:( :(

Beth3

If I understand correctly, you have had multiple convictions but only listed one. In other words, you falsified your employment application. If that's the case, I imagine you can expect to be terminated for lying on your application form.

A

artus

There was nothing false about what I put on the application. I indicated the folony that I went to prison for and stated that I would discuss further upon an interview. This is the way that felons are taught to fill out applications. There is no need to go into detail unless an employer askes. Thanks anyway

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

artus said:
There was nothing false about what I put on the application. I indicated the folony that I went to prison for and stated that I would discuss further upon an interview. This is the way that felons are taught to fill out applications. There is no need to go into detail unless an employer askes. Thanks anyway

My response:

Well, then you were "taught" wrong at the "Felon College of Law". That method "may" work with small employers, but certainly not the large employers, like Sears. I mean, how dumb was that?

You see, applications are to be filled in completely prior to hire. It's not up to the employer to discover later that you admitted to your drug conviction on the form, and then later find out you did 7 years in Attica for a Pedophilia conviction.

You'll be fired - - as well you should be.

IAAL

Beth3

"I was in prison for 2 years for aggrivated DUI and I have other convictions from years ago. The application said list any convictions and I listed the DUI that I did time for"

I expect the application form didn't say just list the conviction you did time for, or just list your most recent conviction, or just list the one you feel like sharing. It said to list your convictions.

Again, I expect the resulting action is that you will be terminated for falsifying your application.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">