• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

felony convictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WRFmly

What is the name of your state? ohio
i had obtained a job through a friend, i faxed my resume, got called for an interview, got called for an offer, i had been working for 2 weeks at this place when all of a sudden they say they need me to fill out an application for the records, i fill it out and turn it in, for the question have you ever been convicted of a felony i left it blank. i have a few felony convictions for theft, my last one has been in the past year and i am currently on probation.
at the end of the day the boss calls me into her office and says she's going to have to let me go because of information that i was not forth coming about on my application, now remember i
had already been working there for two weeks and the subject or question had never been raised, another girl started the same day i did, they gave us both an application, she comments to me on break that she did have a felony conviction , when i was being fired, the boss tells me they do not hire convicted felons, they let me go but not the other girl, also she says that she did not do
her job correctly because she should have checked all this out before she hired me. can she legally fire me about information that was found out after the fact and if she fires me doesn't she have to fire the other girl too, if the reason is convictions? i just
feel i was done wrong. help.

P

Pfaffing85690

The company can fire you for any reason it feels it wants.

Just because the 'other girl' has a felony conviction does not require them to fire her also.

You have no case except for finding another job.

HomeGuru

Pfaff, do you think that the employer was in violation of the Federal Discrimination of Convicted Felons as Employees Law?

Beth3

"and the subject or question had never been raised" It was when they asked you to fill out their application form and that question was on there.

"they let me go but not the other girl" That's their choice. Presumably she did not omit information (which is a form of falsification) on her application.

"also she says that she did not do her job correctly because she should have checked all this out before she hired me" She who? The girl who wasn't fired? She doesn't know what she's talking about.

"can she legally fire me about information that was found out after the fact" Of course. What if they'd found out "after the fact" that you didn't quit your last job - you were fired for stealing?

"and if she fires me doesn't she have to fire the other girl too, if the reason is convictions?" No but the reason may well not be the convictions but rather that you lied on the application form.

Next time you complete an application form, do so completely and truthfully. Lying/omitting information on an application will virtually always get you fired, even if the information in question wouldn't have prevented them from hiring you.

W

WRFmly

responding

i didn't lie on the application, i did not mark an answer at all, which leaves it open for discussion. the application was not ask to be filled out until i had been working there for two weeks. the
reason for the termination was felony convictions period. when i said she said she was not doing her job, i was talking about the boss referring to her own self, saying she should have had me fill the application out before she hired me. so why should the other girl not be fired if the boss said they do not hire ex felons? and what is this law you speak of about convicted felons? thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"i didn't lie on the application, i did not mark an answer at all"

Sorry, chum, that's a lie of omission. And a lie of omission is still a lie.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">