• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Forgery in Texas Living in Sd Need Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grimmysnr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota and Texas

My brother in law received a felony forgery conviction in Texas about 2 years ago and did small time for probation violation. He is now living with me in South Dakota and trying to get on his feet working towards a two year degree. He has applied to almost 30 businesses but none of which will hire him. I have a suspicion this is simply because he has to answer "yes" to the "Have you ever been convicted?" question.

Felony forgery is a class 5 felony but is Texas convictions recognized by South Dakota? What is looked at when a background check is done? Just driving record?

He has a South Dakota drivers license and a bank account. I just need to get more knowlege about what his options are before I have to send him back to Texas because he cant find work here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Contrary to popular belief, there is no standard "background check" that is universally seen by all employers. What each employer requests and subsequently what they see is going to be specific to the employer and possibly specific to the position in question.

I can promise you that a conviction is a conviction is a conviction regardless of what state it was in. South Dakota is not going to disregard it just because it happened in another state.

This is the worst job market in living memory and people with perfect records and no criminal history at all are having to apply with a lot more than 30 employers before they find work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">