• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

felony as a kid..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bostra

State : OHIO

I created a felony when i was 14, im now 19 and wanna explorer better jobs, on applications where it ask if you ever created a felony, can they view yours that you did as a kid ? if they did a background check? or since it happend when i was a kid, its private? .... Fill me in please...

Last edited:

Katy W.

Either your records were automatically sealed or you can request to have them sealed, unless you killed or raped someone. Call the juvenile court and ask that they check, they can also tell you how to request your record be sealed if it isn't. If your record is sealed you can answer any questions about the conviction as though it didn't exist.

bostra

sooo that means, if i didnt have it sealed they can still see what it was, and that i have one? Even though this happend when i was a minor, a very young minor. Wasnt tried as an adult or anything, just juvinal court, and had to do counseling and probation for 3 months

rmet4nzkx

bostra said:
sooo that means, if i didnt have it sealed they can still see what it was, and that i have one? Even though this happend when i was a minor, a very young minor. Wasnt tried as an adult or anything, just juvinal court, and had to do counseling and probation for 3 months
A felony is a serious matter even at age 14, that is almost an adult.

A very young minor is an infant. It is possible that your felony cannot be expunged or sealed. Herie is information form Allen Co but the same applies state wide.

Q.) When I turn 18, will I automatically be terminated from probation supervision?
A.) No. A youth is not automatically removed from probation supervision at the age of 18. The Juvenile Court can maintain jurisdiction until the age of 21. However, if for any reason the youth would require detention as a result of a probation violation, the youth would be detained at the Allen County Justice Center rather than in the Allen County Juvenile Detention Center.

Q.) Are my juvenile records automatically sealed after I turn 18?
A.) No. There are two mechanisms available with which to seal a juvenile record. The first is called expungement. An expungement of a record can be requested if the juvenile is not found delinquent or unruly of the offense for which they are charged, based upon the complaint filed. There is no cost for filing a request for expungement. The second is called "seal" of record. A person may request that records be sealed two (2) years after the final court order in a case. There is a cost for filing for seal of record, plus any outstanding court costs. There are certain felony offenses that cannot be sealed. Contact the Clerk's Office for additional information regarding seal or expungement of records.

S

seniorjudge

Katy W. said:
Call the juvenile justice center - if you didn't commit rape or murder they will seal it.
I agree but doc posted some law that seems to indicate that it should've been done two years after the final order.

Anyway, it won't hurt to try.

bostra

Got An Update - Please Read!

I did a background check on my self using www.choicetrust.com it said it found NO results, now will the employree see something differnt, do they get to see more then what i can find out about my self?

Or does this mean, since i was underage, and never went to jail, never was arrested, just prob for 6 months and NO drug test... does this mean it didnt go on my record ?

or whats this mean, is this a crappy company to use one ?

also im thinking i might of even been 12, right before my birhtday when this happend to, in my previous post i said 14, but i think it was 12 about to be 13.. would this matter 2 ?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It could mean any of the following and we have no way of knowing which:

Your record has been sealed
You never had a record in the first place
You didn't run the request properly
The company you used is faulty

In other words, we STILL don't know what will show up when an employer runs a check.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Maybe. Maybe not. Have you not caught on yet that WE DON'T KNOW?

The ONLY safe way for you to handle this is to answer all questions on the application literally and truthfully. Lying on the application is a termination offense, so you don't want to take chances. Most employers are not going to be too terribly concerned with anything you did as a juvenile, unless you killed someone.

longneck

and even if you can get the records sealed, you'll never know if the background check company that a prospective employer uses will update their records with the new information. you're taking a risk by answering no.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">