• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A few more questions...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjmanners

Washington.
I am currently looking for employment in WA State. I was terminated from a previous job for missing work/being late/attendence problems due to a chronic medical condition (HIV). I felt that I owed my supervisor an honest explanation about why this was an ongoing problem for me as I had already been written up once about it and I felt I needed to explain to her why it was continuing to be a problem. I have nueropathy in my feet and lower legs due to my HIV and it started to get worse shortly after I started working there. I was, and continue to be, treated by my doctor for the condition, it's legitimate. After I told my supervisor, she said that that explained alot to her about my attendence issues, that is wasn't a problem,she was very glad that I had told her and that they (the company) would make accomodations for me to continue working there. None of this was put in writing, though.
However, less than 1 week later, less than a week before my probation period would have been up and my medical benefits would have started, I was called into the office and let go. The reason given was still my attendence issues. Needless to say, I was shocked. I did a very professional, competent job for them, always finished all my work on time and was well liked by both staff and my clients. I was advised by an employee there as I was leaving to turn them into the Human Rights Commission for discrimination, which I did. They also denied my unemployment claim and I am in my second appeal, but doubt I will get it, even though the Human Rights Commission has decided to move forward and serve them notice of the alleged discrimination. They told me that they had felt the case had merit and that I had a valid claim, so they would serve my ex-employer and see what they had to say. I'm sure that they'll deny it, but the timing of my termination right after I had disclosed my HIV status and was told they would provide accomadations for me seems very suspicious to me.
Anyway, after all that, my question is: Since I only worked for them for less than 90 days and I filed a discrimination complaint against them, should I even include them in my employment history. If I do, what should I say, becuase if I say I was let go due to discrimination, they'll want to know what the basis of my complaint was and I will NEVER tell another employer that I have HIV. I've learned my lesson and I think now what I should haave done was asked to have my hours cut back if that was possible or just quit instead of disclosing my HIV status. I am very confused as to what to tell future prospective employers now on my resume or application. I want to be honest but I don't want to leave myself wide open for more discrimination or decreased opportunities to find new employment. I value your opinions on the site and would be very grateful for any advice...Thank you in advance, Karen

Last edited:

mitousmom

You shouldn't lie on your application and you shouldn't omit relevant information. You don't have to tell a prospective employer that you believe that your former employer discriminated against you and that you have filed an EEO complaint and you shouldn't.

I've never had any success at being disingenuous, so I always am upfront. Therefore, I recommend telling the truth. You worked at the company for less than 90 days and were terminated for unavoidable attendance problems. If the number of absences weren't too great, I suggest informing them of the number of days.

I understand your feelings, especially just after what you've experienced. However, you have a chronic condition that may require work accommodation in the future. If you think your current medical problem might continue and result in attendance problems, it might be advisable to ask for an accommodation shortly after you are hired at your next job. They may be able to give you a flexible schedule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">