• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TTMR

undefinedCalifornia
I gave my two weeks notice and the company decided to terminate my employment that day. Since I was on salary, are they responsible for paying me for the two weeks notice?
Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No.

Regardless of whether you are paid on a salaried basis or an hourly basis, unless you are operating under a bona fide contract that says otherwise, if your employer decides to accept your resignation immediately they have no legal obligation to pay out your notice period. Many companies will do so as a courtesy, but that is a gesture of good will and not required under any law.

pattytx

However, they were responsible to pay you on your last day worked, plus all accrued vacation up to that day. Did they do that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">