• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Worried in VA

I resigned from a former company and gave the appropriate two weeks notice. I have not yet received my paycheck. What can I do and what will happen to my former boss if he does not give me my paycheck!

A

Attorney_Replogle

As you know, your employer had to of paid you in full within 48 to 72 hours (states vary as to the time deadline) of your last day worked. Apparently this didn't happen. You can ask for help from your state's (not the feds!!!) department of labor as they assit employees with wage claims. Keep in mind, your state agency might not be called a department of labor. So to make sure of its name and telephone number, ask an employment law attorney near you.

In California where I practice, that agency is called the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement Office.

Our state law allows for a "waiting time" penalty to the employer of up to 30 days of your pay, for every day they are late in getting you your final paycheck.

An employment law attorney near you can be found at attorneypages.com

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">