• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

final paycheck waiting penalty...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harness1978

California....

i worked for a retail company as a store manager and recently left the company. i thought i would get my final paycheck within a few days but it turned out that i had to wait until the next round of payroll checks went out. my new employer said i should look into that because california law requires final paychecks to be paid ON the last day if you give appropriate notice (which i did) and that they are required to pay me a full days pay for every day that i have to wait. so i looked it up, did a little cut-and-paste into an email and sent it to the corporate payroll department... requesting 10 days pay per state law. they replied that the company did not WILLFULLY refrain from paying me and so there were no penalties due to me. am i wrong to suggest that it's their responsibility to know the laws in each state and adhere to them? by simply not paying me, didn't they willfully not pay me? am i missing something? it seems like there must be thousands of people in california who have stopped working for this company over the years and not been paid when it was due to them and are then entitled to the penalty pays.... just wondering what you think...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">