• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fingerprint: Pre-Employment Screening

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

supersco

Need Advice. Please Help! Background Check

Maryland, ( also NY )

Hi,

I'm 21 years old and recently I received an internship offer from a financial company that I dream to work for. I am required to conduct a fingerprint test and I want to know what this fingerprint can find out about my background exactly.

At the age of 19, I was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor (in Upstate New York). My lawyer told me I was charged as a Youth Offender and my record would be sealed. I am put on Probation for 3 years. Because of an arrest (below), it did not end early.

Because of that incident, one campus police investigator have me as a suspect for another related/similar crime that I did not do this time.
I was arrested based on "Lie Detector" result and charged. The case was dismissed at the court based on 'no evidence'. I was young and I made a mistake, ever since then I've been doing well academically. My family was hurt and now they trust and have faith in me. I'm on the Dean's List ever year and I am elected as student ambassador of the university. (Transferred to a new school in Maryland)

Fingerprint Card:
- What can my employer find out from this fingerprint check?
- Is my record sealed already, my probation ends next week? Should I do my fingerprint after my probation ends?
- Would Probation, Arrest Record and Charge Records show up?

Thanks. I want to do right and make my family proud now that I'm 21. I regret what I did 3 years ago. Someone please advise me. Thanks

Last edited:

ecmst12

Advice - Be honest with any prospective employers. They can probably find out about the arrest and probation at least until you're finished. The campus police incident, probably not, unless they got the "real" cops and courts involved, but it might be in your academic records from your school. Either way, tell the truth and hopefully they will be understanding. You are young and have been trying to improve yourself since the incidents occurred but it was not all that long ago so be prepared for some negative outcomes. Part of the price you pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">