• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire after notice of resignation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amalexis

I live in Minnesota. Can an employer fire you just for putting in your notice of resignation? My boyfriend wants to put in a three week notice do to us moving but is scared that his manager will fire him on the spot! Can this happen? If it does what can he do about it?

JETX

I don't know of any statute prohibiting an employer from firing an employee upon notice of resignation. In fact, other than 'burning the bridge', I don't know of any statute requiring the employee to give notice of resignation.

L

louism1954

Termination after notice to resign

Assuming you and your husband are not in a union, then your employment description is what is known as 'at will ' employment, meaning that either party, employer or employee can end the agreement at anytime for any reason, without casue. so tell your husband not to quit until his last day. Employers don't give a dam about us employees anyway. We're just used as pawns or slaves to help the bigwigs get rich. so the hell with them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Employers are not required in any state I am aware of to allow an employee to work out their notice. However, in many states if they do accept your resignation immediately, you become eligible for unemployment for the notice period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">