• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired 1 month before being vested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mars55

What is the name of your state?

Pennsylvania :confused:

I work for a Township in Pennsylvania. As an employee we are "reappointed" for the calendar year at the first Board meeting, at the beginning of every January. The "reappointment" is done by the Board of Supervisors(5 Members). In January we will have two new members who were just plain residents before their election to office. They do not like any of the current staff(myself included) but really have no legitimate reason for their negative feelings. The employees are all afraid of not being "reappointed" come January. We feel that the two new members and a current one will vote to terminate all of the current employees, without any legitimate reasons. In the past 25 years no employee has ever not been "reappointed".

My concern is not necessarily the termination.......I can find another job. My concern is that I am vested in our retirement system come 2/1/06. If I'm terminated prior to then, I'll lose over 20k, which my employer contributed. Do I have any recourse if I'm terminated prior to 2/1/06? My employment record is spotless. If I can be terminated.....is there anyway to stall from the "reappointment" meeting on 1/2/06 until 2/1/06 so that I can collect on my retirement?

Nervous in Pa.

Beth3

If I'm terminated prior to then, I'll lose over 20k, which my employer contributed. Do I have any recourse if I'm terminated prior to 2/1/06? Based on what you have written, no. It would be unlawful to terminate you for the express purpose of avoiding your being vested but you can be terminated for any lawful reason (such as the new Board members not liking you) and if that happens to occur just short of you're being vested, that's the luck of the draw.

is there anyway to stall from the "reappointment" meeting on 1/2/06 until 2/1/06 so that I can collect on my retirement? If you're asking if there's any legal means you can invoke to prevent them from terminating you until after you're vested, the answer is no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">