• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adambrown

Texas
I got fired Sunday at my job, I am 17 years old and I was getting paid cash, so I wasnt aware of that you had to get taxes taken out weekley, I don't know anything about that stuff. Friday of last week I fell in my work's parking lot onto a trashcan, and I had to go to the hospital and get 10 stitches under my eye, and 5 on my forehead do to the fall. Two days after they called me up to come in, and they said I was causing them financial problems from being out of work. Also, friday I had a blow-out in my former boss's truck, they do not furnish me with a cell phone, and the spare on the truck was flat, therefore I was stranded for about 2 1/2 hours until someone stopped and let me use their phone. They blamed me for the blow-out. People are telling me I might have a suit for wrongful termination, if anyone has any advice, let me know a.s.a.p. Thank you!

adambrown

adambrown said:
Texas
I got fired Sunday at my job, I am 17 years old and I was getting paid cash, so I wasnt aware of that you had to get taxes taken out weekley, I don't know anything about that stuff. Friday of last week I fell in my work's parking lot onto a trashcan, and I had to go to the hospital and get 10 stitches under my eye, and 5 on my forehead do to the fall. Two days after they called me up to come in, and they said I was causing them financial problems from being out of work. Also, friday I had a blow-out in my former boss's truck, they do not furnish me with a cell phone, and the spare on the truck was flat, therefore I was stranded for about 2 1/2 hours until someone stopped and let me use their phone. They blamed me for the blow-out. People are telling me I might have a suit for wrongful termination, if anyone has any advice, let me know a.s.a.p. Thank you!
-
Also, they did not offer to pay for the medical bill, or the days I was out of work, the injury happened at work.

Sockeye

When you were being treated did you tell the treating physician it was a work related injury? There are definatley required to pay for it.

Also, were you being paid under the table? Did you fill out and paperwork before going to work, w-4, I-9, etc?

If you were an actual employee then they can fire you quite easily, Texas is an "at will" state and they can let you go for any or no reason as long as it doesn't violate the title VII act (race, creed, age, etc)

But if you weren't an actual employee and being paid under the table then you may have a civil case. I don't have a clue on how likely you'd be to get any money out of it but others may be able to give you some input.

adambrown

Texas
Yes Sockeye, I was getting paid under the table. Me and my parents are going to get in touch with an attorney today for the medical bills and whatever else they might be liable for. Thanks for your opinion, Sockeye.
And yes, please send more advice my way!

adambrown

medical bill

Texas
I would like to know if there is anything else I could add to the case, besides the medical bills? I do have insurance, but shouldn't I be able to receive something for pain and suffering? Please reply, thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you are not necessarily entitled to pain and suffering. And considering that you were also violating the law in accepting pay under the table (I understand that you didn't deliberately set out to break the law but you did anyway) I don't think it would be wise for you to push the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">