• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

purple14

I live in Texas and recently gave one weeks notice to my employer. I was an hourly employee as a checker at a grocery store. I was quitting because on the days I worked, I was scheduled for nine hours with a scheduled one hour dinner break (which I clocked out for). The problem was, I never got to take my dinner break as scheduled, and would work 6 1/2 to 7 hours before finally getting to eat. On the day I gave notice, I was scheduled to work 1:00 to 10:00 and my scheduled dinner break was at 6:00. About 6:30 I asked the asst. mgr on duty if I could take my dinner break. He said no and wanted to know why I thought I should get one. I told him I've always been scheduled for an hour. He said I wasn't (I told him to look at the schedule). He told me I could take a quick "break" but that was it! I told him I normally go home for my dinner break because I can't afford to always eat out. That day I had no cash or checks to buy anything to eat at the store deli. He still would not let me have my dinner break. I then told him I felt I needed to quit right then so I could eat. He told me if I left for my dinner break, I was "fired." I felt I had quit, but he's saying I was fired for walking off the job. Isn't there a number of hours an employer can work you before they have to let you have a dinner break. Also, should I try to file for unemployment since they're saying they fired me? Also, the other checkers always got their dinner breaks and as scheduled.

crager34

one 15 minute paid break for every 4 hours of work. one lunch break (usually 1/2 or 1 hour) lunch for every 8 hours of work. If the person did not let you take these breaks and lunch time, this person broke the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">