• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired 6 weeks later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peachessyrup

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hi i live in MD but i was hired by THE FIRM in Washington DC to work in a gov office. I was hired on sept 26 and my last day was Sept 30. on that day i over heard another employee saying good bye to someone else. THE FIRM had a contract with the gov office and apparently it was up that fri. sept 30, i went to the guy who hired me and asked him about it and he told me dont worry the service was a necessary one and we would be back the following monday afternoon at the latest. 3 weeks later after numerous calls to the FIRM, many of which were ignored and when i did get thro they kept telling me that things were being worked out dont worry.... finally ending the 3rd week home i spoke to the owner of THE FIRM and she said things were taking longer than expected and if i wanted i could try to get something else in the mean time...

Now 6.5 weeks later i get a letter from THE FIRM in the mail saying thanks for my services and the letter is dated sept. 29th as if i had prior knowledge about their gov contract ending. I had none and why hire me one week before the end of contract?

I think i should be compensated for all that 6.5 weeks before i received that letter. I want to know if i have a case worth going forward with in small claims court.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because barring a contract that specifically guarantees you work for a particular time frame, nothing in the law requires them to pay you when you do not work. It's that simple.

peachessyrup

contract says.... employees employment by THE FIRM under this agreement shall commmence on Sept. 26 2005 and subject to eary termination pursuant to paragraph 5 or 7 of this agreement shall be reviewed on sept 26 2006. this agreement may be extented as needed by a written amendment as described in paragraph 7 (c).
And paragragh 5: NON COMPETIOTION; CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION; INVENTIONS.
Paragraph 7:MISCELLANEOUS - and includes amendments to this original agreement which must all be in writing. etc...

so still no?

pattytx

So, take the agreement in its entirety for review by an attorney. If you had a contract, you should have said so in the first place.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That was kind of a major piece of information to leave out, don't you think?

In any case, I can't interpret a contract on the basis of one or two paragraphs. If you have a bona fide contract, and not an offer letter explaining what the employer anticipates happening, you'll have to do as Patty suggests and have the entire document reviewed by a local attorney. The information I gave you is correct under the law. IF you have a contract that says otherwise, that MIGHT be a different story but I don't read minds. If you have a contract, you should have said so in the first place.

peachessyrup

thanks for all the advice...

i am not sure but you guys sound a lil arrogant... i didnt realise this was an attoney's only website..... i thought laymen who didnt know everything about the law could come here and get some kindly advice... but you guys sound as if i am annnoying you or something. i didnt realise i didnt say i had a contract before, but at the same time... wow! :confused:

but like i said thanks anyways

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you think Patty and I are arrogant, you should see some of the other responders you could have gotten.

You're the one looking for free legal advice. It's your responsibility to see that all the relevant facts are available, not ours to guess or play 20 questions with you.

Advice 1: One question I always ask when interviewing for a position in the contracts world is when the contract ends/when is it up for rebid...

The snippet you included from the actual contract makes it look like you would be up for review a year later, but there is an early termination clause in there that has not been included.

My guess is that the contract is going to cover this, but that is without seeing the entire contract...

peachessyrup

well i dont actually see any early termination clause or anything resembling one.but thanks anyways, i'm gonna go thro the legal processes anyway

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">