• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for actions while off the clock and away from work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ryebread001

I had an arguement with someone outside work, after my shift last week. They suspended me today and I have a feeling they are going to try to fire me tomorrow. The reason work knows is because I was on my way home from work and still had my shirt with the company logo it. I live in Portland, Or. I am basically trying to find out if that would even be legal. Please respond so I can be prepared when I go to work tomorrow. Thank you for any and all help. Sincerely RH [[email protected]]

L

loku

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, etc. or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different.

L

lilbratt22

why post

Is that pretty much the only advice available on this site?? is that employees have no rights at all? we can work our tails off to get the job and then be fired for something totally not work related? There shouldn't even be a site called hiring/firing, you just post a message saying..all employees have no rights to appeal when they have been fired in any case. I don't see any reason why anyone would post anything in this subject when the only answer is the boss can fire at any time for any reason whatsoever.

wtd

lilbratt22 -
Is that pretty much the only advice available on this site??
It's pretty much the only advice available anywhere.
is that employees have no rights at all?
But for the exceptions noted in loku's post - true.
I don't see any reason why anyone would post anything in this subject
They probably post their question because they are unaware that (as you mentioned in your post) -
the only answer is the boss can fire at any time for any reason whatsoever.
Again with the exceptions noted by loku.

Hope this answers the questions that you presented,
wtd
( Might I suggest that if you have questions in the future, you start you own thread, as neither your questions nor my reply are responsive to the original poster.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">