• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired after 16 years !

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pejmhj1990

NC,
I need some advice. I was recently fired from my job as a secretary to a CPA. When I was let go they asked if they could search my car and i agreed because I had nothing to hide, well they say they found stuff in my car and they never showed me anything, well my boss told me to go home and i asked if i could come in to get my cell phone and he said yes, well when we got in he asked to search my purse and i agreed and they found nothing. That was over a month ago. Now I find out from someone that works there that a return was not efiled in February and he is mad with me and he thinks he will lose his license because of my quote "stupidity".

My question is, can he bring me to court for this? He is the type of person who would take me to court. I'm really scared. I was there for 16 years. I always worked overtime, in fact the week after April 15th, I received a $2,000 bonus and on the check it said "for job well done". I'm so devastated I don't know what to do.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
HE cannot bring you to court for this. However, if he is sued by the person whose return was not filed, you can be certain that he will attempt to throw you under the bus.

Beth3

Now I find out from someone that works there that a return was not efiled in February and he is mad with me and he thinks he will lose his license because of my quote "stupidity". Even if the reason the return was not filed was entirely your fault, you are not liable. HE is because HE is the CPA - not you. No matter who else in his office was involved in that return, it was entirely his responsiblity to make sure it got filed and on time.

My question is, can he bring me to court for this? No. Not even close. You don't need to worry about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">