• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired after 8 months for background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

orbitalglaze

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I was working with an employer that runs a background check as part of the pre-employment process. On my application I listed the previous charges against me. All seemed well when they offered me a position with the company. I only worked 4 days a week, and on my day off after 8 months of employment the main boss came to my home and fired me. He stated they were being audited by the corporate office and there was a mistake when they initially ran my background report that came up with no results. The second time they ran the report was the day they fired me. I was up front with the company regarding the two misdemeanors on my record. The only decent thing the company did was to report me as being laid off so that I could collect unemployment. The firing took place in November and to date I have not been able to find employment due to the economy. Is there anything I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I was working with an employer that runs a background check as part of the pre-employment process. On my application I listed the previous charges against me. All seemed well when they offered me a position with the company. I only worked 4 days a week, and on my day off after 8 months of employment the main boss came to my home and fired me. He stated they were being audited by the corporate office and there was a mistake when they initially ran my background report that came up with no results. The second time they ran the report was the day they fired me. I was up front with the company regarding the two misdemeanors on my record. The only decent thing the company did was to report me as being laid off so that I could collect unemployment. The firing took place in November and to date I have not been able to find employment due to the economy. Is there anything I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Keep up with the unemployment requirements and keep looking for a job.
You also may wish to consider going to school to give you a leg-up.

Antigone*

Brushing up your resume and continuing to look for work while you collect UI is what you can do.

swalsh411

And FYI even if they did report your termination as a firing you likely would not be disqualified for unemployment because they employed you for 8 months.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And FYI even if they did report your termination as a firing you likely would not be disqualified for unemployment because they employed you for 8 months.
Well, if s/he had LIED on his application, this would likely not hold true. However, since s/he was up-front on his/her application, you're right ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">