• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired after accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ryockey

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

This past week I was fired after I accidently backed into a garage door with a company truck. After my supervisor called the boss he just said I was fired. The garage doors have been backed into by accident by a lot of the employees at one time or another and no one else has been fired for it. My supervisor reccomened three days with out pay but the boss said no. Do they have the right to just fire me on the spot?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of course they do. PA is an at-will state; you can quit any time you like for any reason you want, and they can fire you any time they want for any reason that is not forbidden by law.

Unless you have a valid reason to believe that you, and only you, were fired BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin etc., this is perfectly legal.

Beth3

Given the prior incidents, it sounds like your accident was the straw that broke the camel's back. As cbg says, they could indeed terminate your employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">