• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired after being told job was secure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

harrietpie

What is the name of your state? NJ, but I work in NYC

I was fired last week, told it "wasn't working out." they gave me a list of reasons they weren't happy with me, things that had never come up before. things they had never asked me to fix or change.

it gets better: five weeks ago, they rearranged my department, giving me twice ad much work for the same $$. repeatedly,my immediate boss told how much they liked me and that she didn't want to lose me. she waxed about my talent and was sure i could handle the new responsibilites. she made it very clear that she wanted me to stay.

three weeks ago, i found an apartment i wanted to buy--my boss was aware i was looking--and i went into said boss's office to ask how secure the "new" job was. were contracts signed, were we doing well, should i make an offer on the property. boss tells me things are fine, that my job is safe, bid on the property.

so i did. and then was fired two hours before i was about to sign contract. my boss knew this. when she fired me, she offered only the "it's not working out" excuse and only for portions of my job that had never been in question. in essence, i had yet to even start most of the new duties, and i'd been assured my job was safe.

i came back at my boss with both; what she'd said 5 weeks ago, what she'd said 3 weeks ago. all she said was "i'm sorry."

did she fire me before i signed the contract because she, out of some odd sense of decency and guilt, didn't want me to lose my huge deposit, because she'd since found out they needed to get rid of me? the timing is all very suspicious.

how can they tell me on one day that my job is safe and secure long term, that they love me, that they don't want to lose me. and then weeks later say it isn't working out?????

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

harrietpie said:
What is the name of your state? NJ, but I work in NYC

I was fired last week, told it "wasn't working out." they gave me a list of reasons they weren't happy with me, things that had never come up before. things they had never asked me to fix or change.

it gets better: five weeks ago, they rearranged my department, giving me twice ad much work for the same $$. repeatedly,my immediate boss told how much they liked me and that she didn't want to lose me. she waxed about my talent and was sure i could handle the new responsibilites. she made it very clear that she wanted me to stay.

three weeks ago, i found an apartment i wanted to buy--my boss was aware i was looking--and i went into said boss's office to ask how secure the "new" job was. were contracts signed, were we doing well, should i make an offer on the property. boss tells me things are fine, that my job is safe, bid on the property.

so i did. and then was fired two hours before i was about to sign contract. my boss knew this. when she fired me, she offered only the "it's not working out" excuse and only for portions of my job that had never been in question. in essence, i had yet to even start most of the new duties, and i'd been assured my job was safe.

i came back at my boss with both; what she'd said 5 weeks ago, what she'd said 3 weeks ago. all she said was "i'm sorry."

did she fire me before i signed the contract because she, out of some odd sense of decency and guilt, didn't want me to lose my huge deposit, because she'd since found out they needed to get rid of me? the timing is all very suspicious.

how can they tell me on one day that my job is safe and secure long term, that they love me, that they don't want to lose me. and then weeks later say it isn't working out?????

=========================================

My response:

Since there's no legal question, and no damages suffered by you, then all I can say is "thank you" for venting and sharing your story.

IAAL

H

harrietpie

i guess what i'm saying, after "you're welcome," and venting, is that is this legal? can they promise you a job one minute, then pull it away the next?

JETX

As unfair as it may sound, there is simply nothing illegal about an employer changing their mind and deciding to terminate an employee. Even one that had glowingly positive reports.

H

harrietpie

actually, there were damages

thanks for responding. and for being much nicer than the person who responsed before you.

this actually did cost me $$; in good faith, i paid for a property inspection, a mortgage broker, and gave an attorney a retainer. shouldn't they at least owe me that?

JETX

"shouldn't they at least owe me that?"
*** Sorry, but again, no. The employer, in terminating your employment, has no liability for expenses you incurred in trying to purchase a house. These are simply to unrelated, but coincidental issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">