• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired After Complaining of Gay/lesbian Slurs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dpsmith124

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

About one year ago, I was hired in my field as an engineer. In my first month of employment (while on probation), I began working closely with a gentleman "Bob" who was extremely vulgar and continually bashed and made fun of gays and lesbians. He made many derogatory statements. When I asked him to stop, he refused and I then became a target of his antics. (I must be gay, etc.) I finally went to HR and reported his behavior and explained that my aunt and sister in law are both gay and that he was offending my family. The woman who handles all HR matters is married to the man who was my boss at the time. She called both of us in the office while I made my complaint. She exploded at her husband, (who was often in the room when "Bob" made his slurs, yet said nothing), and yelled "I TOLD YOU TO STOP BOB! WE ALREADY HAVE ONE PENDING LAWSUIT BECAUSE OF THIS GUY!" Her husband admited Bob was a problem and they then discussed with me how many problems they have had with him. The HR lady was so upset and then said, we probably shouldn't be telling you this, but I am just so mad. They said they would take care of it. Next day, I was let go. What can I do? Do I have a case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What reason were you given for the termination?

This doesn't pass the sniff test. However, since sexual orientation is not protected at the Federal level, but is protected by state law in your state, I would refer you to the state discrimination board (whose name escapes me at the moment).

dpsmith124

Re:

When I came in the next morning, they called me in the office and said they were letting me go. I asked why and they said CA is an at will state and we don't have to give you a reason. I kept asking questions, and they kept repeating that line.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Definitely contact your state's civil rights board. I can't say for certain that this is illegal discrimination, but as I said, it doesn't pass the sniff test.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">