• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired after giving 2-weeks notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illustr8or

New York

I gave two weeks notice. I had 3 optional holidays owed to me that I did not take. I filled out my time sheet using the optional days as the last three days of my employment (wednesday -- friday). I notified them that I was doing this. On tuesday, my last day of physically being at work, I was told I would not be getting paid for those last 3 days. They said I could be terminated at any time, so why would they pay me for three days I was not there. Are they allowed not to pay me? Was I effectively fired and can now claim unemployment? Thanks!

mlane58

They said I could be terminated at any time, so why would they pay me for three days I was not there.
Because they are not obligated under the law---If an employee has earned vacation time -- and there is no written forfeit policy, the employer must pay the employee for the accrued vacation. The law says nothing about holidays

Was I effectively fired and can now claim unemployment?
No, they accepted your resignation early, which they have a right to do. You can file for unemployment and it will be up to your state unemployment board to make that decision, but don't count on being awarded benefits as you did resign your position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">