• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired after injury at work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrstaypuft48

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

This happened about 14 months ago, not a big deal, but it bugs me.

I was working at Lowes home improvement as a 'customer service associate" in the building materials section of the store.

I came into work and was lifting some 4x4x8 peices of treated lumber and placing them on a rack. In the process of doing that I injured my hand. It began swelling and hurt very bad. I had no strength in it.

I worked for another 45 minutes, and then informed a manager at the front of the store.

He immediatly took me to the back of the store to

1. DOcument injury
2. Treat Injury, Iced it
3. Talk to HR guy
4. Talk to Head manager

I talked to the Head manager. I told him I had no strength in my hand, and I was not able to perform regular job functions; lifting heavy stuff(94 pound bags of cement). And he said my injury was not enarly as bad as an injury he had of his finger. And that it wasn't a big deal. He told we had a couple options; day or two off to rest it light duty or both.

I finished the day on light duty, was told to take the next day off i believe. Came to work after that, and within 15 minutes of being in the store I was called back to the Head manager office, my hand still wracked with pain.

He said he had to reduce the stores hours to 4000 or something and that there was not any work for me to do.Essentially terminating me. I told him I eneded the job to help pay for school. he told me "you can FLIP BURGERS CAN'T YOU?" I said not with a bum hand... The arrogance astouned me.

I said "who is going to hire me with my hand all messed up. I can only work 4 months out of the year while im in college and with a messed up hand, that hurts me .

Then I think I said well I want to go get it X rayed. They agreed, giving me documentation for a urine test and I believe authorization for Lowes to pay for it,

Took and passed drug test. Had it X rayed the same day in the emergency room. No broken bones. Saw doctor, he told me, " you have torn ligaments in your hand"( a sprain) and I was to take it easy on it and wear a brace for like 6-8 weeks i think.

Well I never got a call from lowes with 'work to do". And I dont think they paid for the x ray. My mom said she paid a bill from hospital and I was dumbfounded...

I was left jobless the rest of the summer, heading into Pitt (Pre law ironically :cool: )

Was I entitled to better treatment, compensation, or did I get ewhat i deserved. I felt like it was 1920 again. I might as well have been working in a coal mine under the tyranny of the elite without rights.

Thanks! Pat

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Depends.

IF you were fired BECAUSE you reported a work-related injury, that is illegal.

However, if there actually was an initiative to reduce work hours and you would have been let go anyway, your having reported a work-related injury does not protect you from being termed.

The company should have paid any medical expenses, either directly or through their workers comp carrier.

Beth3

I agree with cbg and will also confirm that the store should have paid for your medical expenses. You should definitely have received a copy of the bill, since you were the patient. The question is whether Lowe's subsequently paid for it.

Mrstaypuft48

Ya, the main question would definatly be whether or not they planned on firing anybody, let alone me, before this took place. It is quite busy in the building material section of the store in summer for obvious reasons. I cannot imagine them reducing hours at that point in time.

It appeared to everybody I told the story to (co-workers, friends, and family) that it was a bogus reason to fire me. Completely false. I'd be curious to see documentation confirming the request from the home office to reduce hours. Maybe it doesn't exist, however, seeing as how the Head of the store could have possibly been trying to increase earnings and did it on his own accord.

But who knows. As far as I know there we no other firings.

Oh well, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the distinction in a situation like this between planned lay offs and lay offs because of injury which I have been now informed is illegal!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">