• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired after one week

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gabster54

South Carolina

I was hired as a leasing consultant a week ago. I have nearly two years experience in property management. After barely a week, the property manager working at the same apartment building came up to me and said that I had been "shopped" by their management company and they did not give a good report on me. She said that I was not answering the phones correctly and was not greeting the people coming in the way that they liked and that they had to let me go. This was the only reason she gave me. No one said one word to me during that week about the way I was suppose to greet people or answer the phone. When I did answer the phone or greet people coming in, I followed the property manager's example and did what she did. Is there anything I can do? I feel at such a loss. I feel like there was some other reason that I am not aware of and they are using this as an excuse to let me go, but I don't know what it could be as i had good references, good education and experience. Does anyone out there have any advise. I know this is an "at will" state, but this is ridiculous.

Antigone*

South Carolina

I was hired as a leasing consultant a week ago. I have nearly two years experience in property management. After barely a week, the property manager working at the same apartment building came up to me and said that I had been "shopped" by their management company and they did not give a good report on me. She said that I was not answering the phones correctly and was not greeting the people coming in the way that they liked and that they had to let me go. This was the only reason she gave me. No one said one word to me during that week about the way I was suppose to greet people or answer the phone. When I did answer the phone or greet people coming in, I followed the property manager's example and did what she did. Is there anything I can do? I feel at such a loss. I feel like there was some other reason that I am not aware of and they are using this as an excuse to let me go, but I don't know what it could be as i had good references, good education and experience. Does anyone out there have any advise. I know this is an "at will" state, but this is ridiculous.

Losing a job never feels good. You should get yourself back into the job market a.s.a.p. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on.

Beth3

Is there anything I can do? File for unemployment benefits and start looking for a new job. You may have been treated unfairly but nothing illegal occurred.

Betty

In at will employment you can be terminated at any time for any reason except a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender...) unless you have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

File for UI benefits & look for other employment.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">