• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for allegedly trying to Divert a narcotic prescription

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zaphoric

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont
I was terminated for allegedly trying to print a prescription for a narcotic,It was done on my Electronic Medical Record software, that the company had just gotten. But it was done using another RN name so it would appear that she did it...I guess. Well, long story short I was fired. No investigation or anything until after I was fired, Now they are trying to take away my License. The thing is we all had the same generic User ID and password. From the medical Sec. to the medical director. So if my program was logged on all someone had to do was use the generic log in ID and they would have access to my EMR. During my Unemployment hearing the Practice Manager stated "we don't who's hands were on the keyboard at that time".
I am unable to hire a lawyer since I cannot afford it(my spouse has just become Disabled.)
My question is how can I defend against this? I do not have access to there system to try and prove my innocence.
Having the generic Log in as they have is that a defense, since they stated the above comment? What can I do, I DID NOT DO THIS! I do not know if someone did this to me(but one hell of a mean thing to do) or if it was some kind of computer glitch...the system was brand new only about 3 months into using it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

The IT department should've checked the software for a glitch.

If another RN was identified as the one printing up the prescription, why would they go after you?

zaphoric

I have been told that they said it could not have been accidental well the practice mgr. said that, but I don't know how much I trust her, but I ...shall I say it...ASSume something would have been said, I mean even the people from the company were still their and I guess they said it had to be me. I am not sure how if I did it under my name how and why would it print out with her name as the preparer of the script, narcotics Scripts do not print with a signature on it, but this one did.(when they do for things like...lipitor it says Electronically generated signature Right Underneath the signature) Also it had a weird Internet address on the bottom..it started out with http : // 8080 /
My middle initial was printed with a small initial, phone number was way off.
I mean there were so many red flags, working in a doctors office for almost five years, I know that the Pharmacy would have called to verify the prescription (my employer even stated that during my unemployment hearing) Then the Pharmacy would have stalled me and then the police would have waltzed in and arrested me for a what..felony! The Nurse Involved said she did not know how to do this, she has been there for 18 years... This is all Nuts. :confused::mad::( I did make a few complaints about her in which my boss went and told her.) She is 62ish and I am 35. So they Auto thought I did it. The best part I cannot afford an attorney my partner is out of work going on disability. It horrible knowing you innocent and not being able to prove it. They think because I know how to hit CTRL ALT DEL keys and shut down a frozen program I am a computer god...I think I would being working in the computer field making a hell of a lot more than I did there. Thanks for any help or just the thoughts I really appreciate it.

ecmst12

I think if your license is valuable to you, you will get a lawyer to help defend it. There are free and low cost legal aid services available. Seek them out. Contact your local bar association or nursing association.

I think that system is the worst excuse for security I've heard of in a long time. You can't stop them from firing you, but you CAN protect your license.

zaphoric

I have tried to find an attorney, I have called legal aid they say I make to much! What does one do then...I have a email out through a website I found that stated only pennies a day. But something tells me with a case this confusing and odd, that I will be hard pressed to find one that will help probono

lealea1005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont
I was terminated for allegedly trying to print a prescription for a narcotic,It was done on my Electronic Medical Record software, that the company had just gotten. But it was done using another RN name so it would appear that she did it...I guess. Well, long story short I was fired. No investigation or anything until after I was fired, Now they are trying to take away my License.

Is this the first time you're being charged with attempting to obtain narcotics, or do you have any previous reprimands/charges with the Nursing Board?

I agree, if your license is of any value to you at all, you need to find a way to pay for an attorney.

zaphoric

With a partner not bringing in any income its a bit hard, I do value my license, but more my name! But if you cannot afford it, I am out of luck, Its not like I have a few hundred dollars sitting in the bank, I have Nothing in the bank, maybe 6 bucks! So Guess I am screwed, But really thank you for your help, any thoughts or ideas anyone has would be great! Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">