• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired! Am I in trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sima1980

Hi, guys!
My situation is like this... I got fired from my job for using internet for my personal things. That is ok I did not have problem with it. Then I wanted to delete 2 personal files from my computer (my resume and a letter) and the boss told me I can not do that because it is their property. The next day my co-worker went and deleted those files. They found out that she did it and asked her to write a report, in the report she wrote that I asked her.
This is a story. The question is: can they do anything else to me for that besides firing? Please help, I am desperate.
Now I am worried that they will sue me. They are such ... thay can do anything.
And my friend was actually asked by my employer to go on my computer and check my e-mail. That is why she had access to files.
I am just so terrified. When he fired me, he was yelling and grabbing my hands. And my boyfriend actually spoke to him and said that whatever our work relationship is, he does not care, but nobody gave him a right to behave like that.
THey said for me it was illegal to place any personal info on my computer (since it is their property) and delete anything. But I did not delete any company related files. Never!!!
I did not think it was such a huge deal. Can they sue me over this situation? Or do something else?

ecmst12

It's not a huge deal. The company has not suffered any damages that they can sue you for. However the computer IS their property and it IS improper for you to store anything personal on there. And your friend could get in trouble at work for deleting the files too. It's not ILLEGAL for you to save personal things there but it's just a bad idea.

MyHouse

Your boss GRABBED you when he was firing you? Did he squeeze you or hurt you? Did anyone see this? Why was he so upset?:eek:

Beth3

THey said for me it was illegal to place any personal info on my computer (since it is their property) and delete anything. That would be a violation of the company's policy but it is not illegal (e.g. prohibited by any statutes.) You can calm down. The company has nothing to sue you for.

Sima1980

Yes, they are lunatics.
Apperantly, as I heard, they started a huge investigation. Asked my co-workers to write reports and said that they will retrieve the info that I deleted. They said it will cost them $400. Whatever..... Can they take me to court. I am freaking out. Seriously, they are sick people.
And when he grabbed my hands, there were 2 girls around. And they have cameras all over the place. He did not hurt me though. I don't care, I just don't want to go to court because of this stupid thing and I definetely don't want them to screw up my life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">