• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired in Arizona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Richard Gallagher

I was in a management position in Phoenix, Arizona and was fired because a mistake was made by one of my subordinates which caused the company to lose an account. Since I was the general manager I was held accountable for this person's mistake and was terminated without notice. Prior to my termination a person was supposedly hired to fill another position but after my departure they assumed my job.
I believe it was the intention all along for this new person to get me job.

I had held the general manager's position for approximately 14 months with no other performance issues, warnings or reprimands of any kind. I was the only African-American at this facility. However, there were various minorities in non-management positions. There were 18 people employed at this facility.

In the State of Arizona does the employer need a legitimate reason to fire someone or is this an "At Will" state? Do you think I have a cause of action against the employer in this situation?

L

loku

Sec. 23-1501 of the Arizona Labor Code (http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/23/01501.htm) makes Arizona an “at will” state. However, if the fact that you are an African-American was a motivating factor in what happened, then you have a case against them for racial discrimination. Such a charge is often difficult to prove, and the proof depends on all the circumstances, so I think there is enough chance that you have a valid case so that you ought to have it evaluated by a lawyer specializing in employment law in your state.

L

LaurenLauren0

i SYMPATHIZE but I am no good for help

I think that is terrible. I highly sympathize with you and I encourage that you do something about it. The same thing happened to me when a bunch of black employees were replaced with other people after we finished setting the store up. I believe you can do something about this and you should take it to the EEOE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">