• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired to asking to sign paperwork and tax documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cniller

FLORIDA

Please let me know if any laws were broken/bent or if I'd benefit from speaking to an attorney or writing corporate.

I was hired by a (fast food chain) location in (major retail chain).
I worked for 6 days and trained 3 of them, I was never given a formal application to fill out (just a blank sheet of paper).
I was never given a time card, employment papers, any agreement, etc. Never gave them a copy of my driver's license, social security card, etc.

When I went to the manager (then the boss) to get my W4's and any other agreements signed, I was stonewalled and told to return to work.

I called the boss Monday night and she said she'd be in on Tuesday to give me the papers I needed. I told her I wasn't comfortable working without being "on the books" or having any sort of official relationship with the company. I was worried that if I was hurt on the job, where would the liability be?

She said she'd be in at 11Am the next day when my shift started. The next day came and she wasn't there. I asked the manager and was told she'd be in at 4 (after I was done already). We ended up calling her and she played dumb when asked about the papers "what papers?"

The phone was handed back to the manager and they spoke. He then turned to me and told me to leave if I was uncomfortable and that the owner would replace me and I'd be paid for time spent there.

I feel like I was fired for speaking up about filling out my LEGAL documents related to my employment. What can I do?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

pattytx

IMHO, move on, except to contact corporate as advised on the other forum on which you posted this question. Do you really want to work somewhere like that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">