• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired by Association?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ratedg728

Worked for a corporation for 3+ years. An old "friend" which I have not had contact for over a year called in HR asking to be rehired and demanded a job. ????? He was a temp there for about 2 weeks over a year ago and never was hired. He eventually got into a 20 min argument and threatened a lawsuit if they don't hire him. Keeping in mind he is also has a learning disability and currently receive assistance from the government. The conversation was alot of nonsense and turned into 3rd grade verbal battle. He used my name and said that I am his best friend and that they should take that into consideration. I dont know why he would say these things, but keep in mind he is not all there. Who would call into a company "demanding" a job? HR called me in 3 times to discuss the event and told them I have no idea what happened and that I dont associate with him any longer. I have no knowledge of him calling and that I simply have no control over what he does. The recored the phone conversation and replayed it for me. The final outcome was they terminated me for association with verbal threat communication. What should I do here? I work 10+ hours a day and just got promoted to a marketing position in which I worked hard to obtain. Could they terminate me because of this?

What is the name of your state? Ca

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Under what grounds? What did I do?
They don't have to have a reason, so long as it's not based on a protected "class" reason (ie: race, gender and etc.)
Do you have an employment contract? Do you have a union? Those are your only two hopes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You don't have to have done anything and they don't need to have grounds. This falls into the unfair but not illegal category.

ratedg728

So they can fire me for no reason? Aren't there labor laws that protect people from that? I wouldnt think they could just fire someone because of association.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In an at-will state, which is every state except Montana (and even includes Montana in some circumstances) you can be fired for any reason not specifically prohibited by law, including no reason.

No, there are no labor laws prohibiting an employer from firing you for the reason you describe. I agree that it is unfair. But it is not illegal.

You will qualify for unemployment, I'm sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">