• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FIRED atfer back ground check that wasnt..please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mquince

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was hired on 3/1 and giving my 1 assignment then the next day my job did a criminal back ground check and found something. they used ICHAT and under my name is clearly says "no criminal record can be found" but under that it listed another name of a person that committed murder and is in prison for life and at the end of his report it said
"IDENTIFIERS AND COMMENTS" and it had my full name and date of birth and nothing else. The funny thing is I already knew about this and hired an attorney in 01 and everything was cleared up so I thought. The job said to fax them all my attorneys paper work and they called back and said everything looks fine and we looked the guy up on
O.T.I.S. and we can see it's not you and they gave me my 2nd assignment but on 3/3 the director of human resources called and said I don't trust you and you are fired, just like that. I begged her to let me go get finger prints to prove I have never been to jail or committed a crime in my life but she said it does not matter because I don't trust you and hung up. It clearly states on ICHAT that there could be errors and to not take adverse action and to let the person get finger printed by local police it he disputes anything on this record. the next day I did and got completely cleared. ALL I NEEDED WAS 24 HRS TO CLEAR MY NAME BUT WAS FIRED WITHOUT THE CHANCE TO PROVE MY INNOCENCE.
can I file a law suit against them or the state of MI for not taking that off the first time like they said they did?

swalsh411

You can't sue the employer I'm certain of that. They wouldn't have had to hire you even if your background check came back clean.

As to suing the government for bungling your records, I doubt it. I've never heard of anybody doing something like that.

You can try to clear your record again, or hope for an employer that is more reasonable and understand that you're not the murdered serving a life sentence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">