• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for bad credit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jasper80s

My soon to be ex wife, who lives in Maryland, recently was fired from her job at a Nuclear Power Plant because they ran a credit check on her, and found that she has poor credit. Is this legal? She had been working at the job for apporoximately 3 months, and had been doing well, and worked 60 hours a week. No complaints at all about her quality of work. Is poor credit grounds for termination?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is she in a position where she is handling money or finances in any way?

JETX

Also, the fact that she is working in a Nuclear plant, it is not uncommon for employees to have to pass a security check. And one of these is the credit history (responsibility) of an employee. ('bad guys' could exploit an employee's credit problems or need for money to the detriment of the 'good guys'.)

I think that if you would review the hiring papers that she signed, you will find that this would be grounds for dismissal. And, when she signed them, she acknowledged that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">