• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired because of background check!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cesarcampos

I recently applied at a company here in Houston, Texas. Interviewed, was given an offer, and accepted it. I was asked to start working immediately so I did. I filled out all employment forms including a form giving permission to a background check. The only question about any criminal charges was "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" to which I answered no. I am currently going to court to fight a felony charge and a misdeameanor which showed up on the background check as "pending". After having been working there for a month I was asked to explain these charges which I did. I was then told that because those charges showed on my background check, regardless if they were pending or not, I could no longer work there. My question is . . . Is this legal??

flytuc

Hello friend,
I cannot answer your main question of legality, but I feel your pain..I am actually wainting on my background check to be cleared. Dont look good.. I think hiring you before the background check and then letting you go is wrong. Not very good practice. They hired you for you and what you brought to the company, not your past..I hope all goes well with you.
Stephen

Betty

I agree - it's legal. Tx. is an at-will employment state & you can be fired for any reason at any time except for reasons protected by law (ie age, sex, religion). Just as you could quit your job at any time for any reason.

The only exception to the above might be if there is an employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

Sorry.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">