• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired Because I Forgot,is This Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tatudprincess

CA
What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA
I was fired from my job as manager for Great Clips because I forgot to purchase a gift certificate that I said I would purchase.My personal life was crazy at the time.Then to top things off I was so overwhelmed by the accusation that I would steal (i was the manager) that I signed terminiation papers that stated the reason for termination..."gross misconduct unauthorized misuse of company funds" I didn't even read the paperwork. Will I be able to recieve unemployment?

BelizeBreeze

tatudprincess said:
CA
I was fired from my job as manager for Great Clips because I forgot to purchase a gift certificate that I said I would purchase.My personal life was crazy at the time.Then to top things off I was so overwhelmed by the accusation that I would steal (i was the manager) that I signed terminiation papers that stated the reason for termination..."gross misconduct unauthorized misuse of company funds" I didn't even read the paperwork. Will I be able to recieve unemployment?
You were fired for cause. There is no way anyone here can tell if Unemployment will reach the same determination. My 'gut' is don't count on the checks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To answer the question in your post, yes, it is perfectly legal to fire you because you "forgot" to take care of one of your responsibilies, no matter what was going on in your personal life.

Whether you do or do not receive unemployment will have nothing to do with what you did or did not sign, or what your employer called the termination. It will be based SOLELY on whether or not the unemployment office determines that you were fired for a reason that qualifies you for benefits under your state's regs.

I'm with Belize on this one; I wouldn't count on receiving it. But our votes don't count; only the vote of the UI office makes any difference.

HomeGuru

tatudprincess said:
CA

**A: is that a hair place or one of those shops that sell rolling paper and other stuffs......?
Don't you mean to say, you forgot to PAY for a gift certificate........

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
**A: is that a hair place or one of those shops that sell rolling paper and other stuffs......?
Don't you mean to say, you forgot to PAY for a gift certificate........
Scruffy likes that answer :D

kevinfor

please clarify what happened?

just to clarify... as I'm trying to figure out what you did wrong..

you were the manager of the store.. you told somebody you would like to purchase a gift certificate.. say on a monday night.. things got busy.. you didn't purchase it.. (and I presume.. never actually wrote one out.. or took one home with you) when you came into work on say tuesday morning.. they fired you..? or did you write out a gift certificate.. take it home.. but forgot (or didn't) pay for it

the 2nd issue.. I can see the theft issue.. the first I'm having a harder time with.. if I work in a computer store.. and say to someone.. I think those laptops are cool. I'd really like to buy one of those sometime this week.. on monday morning.. I get called into the manager's office and fired for not buying the PC.. that's not cool.. "i broke my word of honor to the company" unless something was signed like a Purchase order etc.. casual conversation etc.

Is California an "at will" state.. which basically means you can be fired based on how you comb your hair.. what you had for lunch.. smoking in your own home outside of work etc. or do you need "cause" in CA?

Kevin

BelizeBreeze

kevinfor said:
just to clarify... as I'm trying to figure out what you did wrong..

you were the manager of the store.. you told somebody you would like to purchase a gift certificate.. say on a monday night.. things got busy.. you didn't purchase it.. (and I presume.. never actually wrote one out.. or took one home with you) when you came into work on say tuesday morning.. they fired you..? or did you write out a gift certificate.. take it home.. but forgot (or didn't) pay for it

the 2nd issue.. I can see the theft issue.. the first I'm having a harder time with.. if I work in a computer store.. and say to someone.. I think those laptops are cool. I'd really like to buy one of those sometime this week.. on monday morning.. I get called into the manager's office and fired for not buying the PC.. that's not cool.. "i broke my word of honor to the company" unless something was signed like a Purchase order etc.. casual conversation etc.

Is California an "at will" state.. which basically means you can be fired based on how you comb your hair.. what you had for lunch.. smoking in your own home outside of work etc. or do you need "cause" in CA?

Kevin
Read the post again. Your 'analysis' is past left field.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Kevin - CA is an at-will state, which means that they do not need cause.

However, it doesn't matter whether she was supposed to purchase a gift certificate on behalf of the store and "forgot" to do so, or if she was purchasing a gift certificate from the store for her own use and "forgot" to pay for it. Either is justifiable cause for termination. Since she mentioned theft I suspect the latter is the case. In which case, not only is it legal to fire her, I would have no respect for a store which failed to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">