• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired Because Look Too "young"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chefingreen

My daughter is 18, a senior in high school. She wants to go into hospitality management in college. She was hired by the Hampton Inn about 4 weeks ago. Last week, the manager called her and told her they were terminating her because the customer surveys had some comments that she "looked too young" to be working the front desk. She is petite, 5'1" and weighs about 100 pounds. There weren't any complaints about here being rude to the customers or anything like that. Can they legally terminate her? Also, she had worked at Bob Evans for a year and half prior to getting this job. She Left B.Evans for this job. Can she get unemployment?
Thank you,
chefingreen

justalayman

I don't think "looking young" would be a protected discriminatory practice so, yes they can fire her for just about any reason they want. They apparently see this as a potential problem with their customers. Not that it is meant as a bad thing for your daughter, just a business decision on their part.

As far as unemployment; that would be for your state's UI department to decide. Being fired for this though should not disqualify her if she would have been eligable otherwise.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you follow the rules of this forum, you will get a definite answer to your question.

ENASNI

cbg said:
When you follow the rules of this forum, you will get a definite answer to your question.
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE​

Heather2

ENASNI said:
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE​
I know it claerly states that but when you start a new thread it no longer says "what is the name of your state".

ENASNI

Heather2 said:
I know it claerly states that but when you start a new thread it no longer says "what is the name of your state".

I know that is why I pointed it out. Sometimes the newbies need hand-holding. ;)

ENASNI

mlane58 said:
Would you hold my hand? Please!

Did you wash-up? And you aren't a newbie. ;)

Besides I need both hands trying to hold down a nutjob on RE forum, just like you got Roscoe P Coldbrain on another thread here. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">