• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired because was not able to work on Saturday

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

svecorr

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was just fired because I was not able to work on Saturday when my employer requested. During my interview with the company I specifically emphasized that I will not be able to work weekends because of family situation, but can work long hours during the week. In last almost two months I was working pretty much from 8:30 a.m. till 8:00/8:30 p.m. almost every day (with no overtimes payed). I was basically told that my stay with the capmany depends on whether I will be working Saturdays. I was hired as Marketing Coordinator, but on Saturday I was supposed to be in the office to help with issuing new Purchase Orders - something that was never in my job description. What are my rights in this situation? Thank you.

C

CheeseBlotto

Without an enforcable contract specifying no weekends, you don't have any legal options. File for unemployement and find a new job.

HomeGuru

svecorr said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was just fired because I was not able to work on Saturday when my employer requested. During my interview with the company I specifically emphasized that I will not be able to work weekends because of family situation, but can work long hours during the week. In last almost two months I was working pretty much from 8:30 a.m. till 8:00/8:30 p.m. almost every day (with no overtimes payed). I was basically told that my stay with the capmany depends on whether I will be working Saturdays. I was hired as Marketing Coordinator, but on Saturday I was supposed to be in the office to help with issuing new Purchase Orders - something that was never in my job description. What are my rights in this situation? Thank you.

**A: you have a right to find another job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not quite sure where so many people get the idea that if something is not told them at hire, the employer cannot enforce it. There's no truth to it at all.

If your employer was initially okay with your not working Saturdays, but has come to find that it is causing problems for him, he is free to require you to work Saturdays. Unless, as cheeseblotto says, you have a binding and enforceable contract that guarantees you Saturdays off, your employer is free to adapt your hours, your job duties, and any other terms of your employment as he desires. I don't mean this as harshly as I'm sure it will sound, but your family situation is not your employer's problem.

I wish more people would realize that if the employer were bound by law to leave the terms of hire exactly as they were with no changes, that would mean that you would never get a pay raise, never get an extra weeks vacation, never become eligible for any benefits that are seniority based, etc. It's not all one-sided; if the employer can change the terms of your employment to your benefit, he can also change them to his benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">