• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired - Before paid Commissions on a $50M deal - advice???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hidatsa

What is the name of your state? CA

I was recently fired from a sales position for "not getting enough appointments". However, I have been working with a potential $50 million client. I am expecting to hear back from this client regarding their decision in 2.5 weeks.

Do I have any legal right to the commission, should the deal close. The commission would be almost $300K.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In my state you would not. You would have to have been the one to close the deal for you to be legally owed the commission. If you were fired after the deal closed but before the commission was paid, you'd have a case to go after it, but if someone else closes the deal, it wouldn't matter that you had done the original contacting.

As far as I know, most states operate the same way. I can't say for sure that all 50 states do. You are certainly free to contact your state Wage and Hour division and see what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">