• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for being gay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarilynLV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

My niece claims she and her partner were fired from the same workplace because they were gay.

If this is the case, is this legal?

(Not that there's anything wrong with that)

ecmst12

Sexual orientation is not protected by federal law or by most states. I don't know about yours in particular. Unless there is a state law making it illegal to fire someone for their sexual preference, it's not illegal.

cyjeff

It is also not a protection from discipline if the company has a policy against employee dating.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sexual orientation IS a protected characteristic in the OP's state.

OP, if your niece believes that the SOLE reason she and her partner were fired is because of their sexual orientation, she/they can file a complaint with the state Human Rights Commission. Note that IF the other responders are right and there was a policy against employees dating, the claim may not go anywhere UNLESS they can show that there are straight employees who have not been fired for violation of the same policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">